Thursday, October 31, 2013

Surrealist Artists



Hannah Hoch


I can’t say for sure why it is that I like photomontage by Hannah Hoch. Something about the tonal qualities of the piece and also for what on the surface appears to be whimsy but upon closer inspection seems to be a commentary going on about women and their struggle for equality.



Rene Magritte

This gauche painting on paper by Rene Magritte is pure magic. The man racing his horse through the woods on a cold morning, the choice of palette she uses, and the unique symmetry of the tree lines really make this something special in my eyes. Can’t tell you other than what I’ve already described because as you well know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.



Maggie Taylor

This wonderful oil painting titled; “The Night Sky” by Maggie Taylor speaks to my personal leanings towards fantasy or rather a reality other than the one I constantly find myself living in. The girl’s expression is difficult to articulate in words. It seems to be one of sadness and longing for something that “isn’t” or a questioning of why things are the way they are.



Lou Beach

This photomontage piece titled; “Revenge of the Bad Old Days” by Lou Beach is probably one of my favorites thus far of the surrealist artists we’ve looked at. It speaks to the sign of the times. My generation. The economy in a shambles, the government can’t govern properly, drugs running rampant in the inner cities and the general population angry and disgruntled. It reminds me of all the photos and stories I’ve read about New York in the 1970’s. Love it!


Dave McKean

I really like this surrealist oil painting by Dave McKean done in 2008 for Bill Bruford’s Earthworks. I love the quality of light and the feeling of the apples on the table being something old and of a mystery not unlocked. And then upon closer inspection we see that the key to the locks is actually inside the apple. There is the possibility for all kinds of interpretations going on here. I see one of spirituality. The answers to the questions you seek come from within. Great art that makes you think. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment